Monday, August 1, 2016

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWit

I really enjoyed this novel.  It's a quick, easy read, and it has a happy ending.  I also thought that Mr. deWit's prose style was exemplary, and I thought it beautiful. 

It is a great book for reading on a bus, train or airplane - you can read for the rollicking action, or slow down, take your time and appreciate the prose.

It is, however, a very violent novel. 

I would definitely recommend this for you if you are a fan of Quentin Tarantino's movies.

It is the tale, set in the American West around the time of the California Gold Rush (1848) of two (arguably) psychopathic brothers (Charlie and Eli) who are paid killers.  Eli and Charlie are very close, but very different.  As the novel progresses, Eli demands, and gets, a reckoning.  After I'd finished it and considered its ending, I had to admit that it reminded me of Voltaire's Candide.  And, now as I consider the high amount of absurdity in the story, I have to say that it reminds me of Beckett, too.  That erudite Mr. deWit! I think I should probably suggest that Mr. deWit stop showing off his prodigious gifts, as they make the rest of us look bad.  But until he does, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment