Friday, August 26, 2016

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

This novel begs comparison with John Green's The Fault in Our Stars because both stories feature teenagers grappling with illness.  There the comparison must end, as Andrews' book, while well-constructed, is much less "painterly" than Green's novel.

Part of what I loved about this novel is that one of the characters frequently feels compelled to say funny things to his sick friend and I found myself laughing out loud.

I also enjoyed the departures in narrative style that Andrews adopted.  Some of the dialogue is presented as a film script; some in bullet points.  As in Jennifer Egan's A Visit to the Goon Squad, I found these alternative storytelling forms highly engaging.  In fact, Andrews has a good ear, and recounting of dialogue using bullet points didn't diminish his ability to capture the way we talk now in any way.  A very funny book with quite a bit of bad language.

1 comment: