Monday, August 29, 2016

Murder on the Quai by Cara Black

Like A Fine Summer's Day (by Charles Todd) and Blind Goddess (by James R. Benn) this novel in the Investigator Aimee LeDuc series (set in Paris) is a wonderful way to get started in a long-running series by coming in at the beginning, so to speak, without actually going all the way back to the beginning.

Aimee LeDuc is a snappy dresser, a medical student, and the daughter and grandaughter of cops.   This book tells the "creation story," the story of how Aimee went from being a frustrated medical student to a private investigator working in her father's firm.

If you love Paris, and especially if you love eating in Paris, you will be charmed by this book.  After I read it, the first thing I thought was, "I wonder if I should learn French cooking." My jealousy was that acute.

I really enjoyed this book, and I think that in addition to visiting the different streets of the 8th arrodissement, and enjoying Aimee's wonderful dress sense, I loved the pacing of this book.  It swept me up and carried me along.


No comments:

Post a Comment