Sunday, November 6, 2011

Let Them Talk by Hugh Laurie and other artists

Mostly I am unfamiliar with the songs on this collection but I love "Tipitina," and think it worth the price of admission alone. I really love it. I love the song and I think this is an outstanding rendition and I love Laurie's singing here.

I'm afraid that I like to imagine myself discerning but I'm very opinionated and I'm no David Denby, that's for sure.

I like variety, and I like people doing things passionately, and I like folks with lesser vocal gifts singing musically and expressively. I enjoyed this record.

P.S.: I was driving a friend to the airport and listening to this record (to "Let Them Talk," specifically), and he suddenly burst out, "I like this guy! Who is he?" and I explained that it was Hugh Laurie.

As I've been listening to this record, it's been growing on me and I am now very fond of "Let Them Talk."

Once I was attending a performance of Madama Butterfly in a 4,000 seat hall. Someone complained that the tenor, not well-known, did not have a voice big enough to fill the hall. I thought about it and I decided that it was just unfortunate that you had to have such a big voice to fill a large hall like that and that I wanted to be able to enjoy his voice as well. I want to have a chance to appreciate everyone's voice. I personally feel that the final arbiter of worth here is "Do you enjoy it?" and I am enjoying Laurie's album.

No comments:

Post a Comment