Sunday, August 28, 2011

Just Married & Cooking by Brooke Parkhurst & James Briscione

I guess today is lifestyle day at my blog. I was interested in this book because its title suggested to me simple recipes and instructions for a newer cook .. someone newly married, perhaps, who would be cooking much more than before.

I was a little bit disappointed to find that while the authors state that the purpose of the book is make interesting everyday eating, I found the recipes overly elaborate for my taste. Perhaps I need the "Short Attention Span Cookbook: Recipes in 6 Minutes or Less."

The authors, a journalist and a Food Network chef, acknowledge that they are unabashed foodies and that food preparation, eating and just thinking about food are a major part of their every day.

I guess I feel that while there are many obviously tasty recipes and some good advice - even some answers to questions that you've had -- what's a quick bread? what's a grit? what's pancetta? how do I cook asparagus? (Does everyone not know how to cook asparagus? Even I know how to cook asparagus), that this is really a lifestyle book in which they exhibit their excellent taste and suggest you use good French butter in your baking (gosh, they don't have Celles sur Belle or Isigny Ste. Mere at the Jewel) buy elegant skewers for your S'mores, drink your coffee like you're on Boulevard St. Germain, use White Lily flour ("Brooke's mother wouldn't consider baking with anything else").

That said, some of these recipes seem very appealing: Simple Breakfast Focaccia with Spinach, Butternut Squash and Fontina, Rigatoni with Escarole, Pine Nuts and Goat Cheese (Dinner in a Hurry).

Parkhurst and Briscione teach a couples' cooking class at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment