Sunday, August 28, 2011

101 Things I Hate About Your House by James Swan

Perhaps you imagine that I became interested in this book because of its title. If so, you are correct.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must say that I have not read this book in its entirety but I believe that I have read enough to make a judgment. Alas, there just isn't time enough to read everything.

Mr. Shaw is a professional designer accustomed to working with clients for whom money is not an issue and to working with budgets most of us could not afford. The book is illustrated with color drawings that are funny and which, frankly, I didn't like at all. There are a few photographs of some interior rooms that Mr. Shaw has designed, including a Moorish-inspired grand staircase for a California client and an over-the-top powder room in which a beautiful set of drawers has been refitted with a stone top and repurposed as a bathroom vanity.

While this wouldn't be the right approach for most of us, I was delighted to find a bathroom in which the vanity had been banished and replaced with something truly beautiful. Mr. Shaw is no Sarah Susanka, but I suspect that they have more in common that might at first appear. In his introduction Mr. Shaw writes: "A gracious and beautiful home effortlessly considers the needs of its occupants and consistently rises to the occasion. We understand style and taste as being subjective, but principles for gracious living are not. While the former denotes mastery of historical nuance and devotion to a fickle public's fleeting fixations, the latter -- and the object or our attention -- is rooted in common sense piled high with practical experience.

Mr. Shaw's tone is witty, directive, arch, and somewhat abusive. Yes, he is a better decorator than you are and now he expects you to take his advice. I was somewhat alarmed at being called "Kitten" (didn't Dame Edna copyright that expression?) but admire his courage. Was adopting this tone a conscious choice? I imagine so. Indeed, Mr. Shaw was assisted by Carol Beggy in the production of this little tome and I imagine Carol is the real architect here.

Having said all this, you might imagine that I might be a little put off by Mr. Shaw's bossy commands and feel that his experiences working with the rich and famous make him out of touch with the needs and aspirations of us mere mortals. On the contrary, although much of what Mr. Shaw has to say may be viewed as common sense I've come to realize that sense is not all that common. In fact, much of Mr. Shaw's advice is especially helpful to beginning designers and also useful to those with more experience.

For example, his advice to pull furniture away from the walls, use it to create intimate seating spaces, provide ample tabletops and coasters for drinks may seem obvious but I expect it isn't for everyone. I applaud his insistence that walls, whether in dining rooms, living rooms or even family rooms be adorned with art. I was surprised that he insisted that all adults - even teenagers - needed to have their own double bed.

His rants against inadequate toy storage, excessively cute or expensive kids' room furnishings, failure to action-proof a family room, or control excessive remote control growth are not surprising. I was chagrined by his rant against overgrown, straggly, ill-cared for house plants (Officer I'm guilty! Take me away!), and surprised to learn that I failed to appreciate the need for correct scale when incorporating live plants into a decorating scheme.

His insistence that "we are our stuff" and need not only well-designed creature comforts but mementos, souvenirs, family photographs, collections and books and art to distinguish our living spaces from those of others and to express ourselves surprised me a little. His insistence on the importance of books was manna to my book lovin' heart and I was delighted by his suggested that in the absence of a library or the room to create one that bookcases lining the dining room were a pleasant and effective substitute.

One tip I really appreciated was that all lampshades should be lined with pink silk. I can't quite believe that all lampshades should be lined with pink silk, but I actually think that that is a tip that could transform faux pas to fabulous. I'm sure that the pink reflection from the silk is flattering to everyone and does help to create a more comfortable envrironment for everyday life.

I also appreciated his conviction that small spaces are no excuse for giving up on decorating, more essentially, a well-appointed space that use the tools of design to create space that is both comfortable and efficient. As Mr. Shaw tells us:

Never write off a small kitchen as being incapable of producing dazzling feats of entertainment. Big things come in small packages, and at the end of the day it's not size that matters but what you do with what you've got!



No comments:

Post a Comment