Saturday, October 15, 2016

Walk through the Woods by Colin Dexter

This is one of the later Inspector Morse novels, and it's the first one I've ever read.

I loved it.

I thought it was so clever (the mystery's solution is advanced by the letters column of the local paper where enthusiastic amateurs offer the police their assistance in deducing clues from a poem ostensibly written, and published in the paper, by the murderer).

I was also charmed and bemused by Inspector Morse's need to correct the grammar of the suspects he is interrogating.

I felt the ending was very surprising.  Of course, I should say that I am not as good as guessing the ending as many other mystery readers, and I think I'm looking for local color, character, surprises, and originality rather than solutions.  Plenty of color and character here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment