Monday, January 23, 2012

Between Men by Fiona Lewis

This novel was published in 1995, and I discovered it because it has an attractive cover which reminded me of Matisse.  (It was a Matisse; it's annoying how sleepy I am, sometimes.)

Alice Wilder is the novel's protagonist, and as she herself would admit, she's in flight from her past, which includes a failed marriage. As a result, she doesn't have much direction or focus and I think this is part of how she comes to find herself, or to see herself as being, "between men." Alice is strangely passive, and torn, in the face of her lovers' behavior; but she sees clearly how unsuitable they both are.

One reviewer complained that the character of the two men is not fleshed out enough; true, but the novel is a tale told from Alice's point of view, and to her I believe both men are rather opaque.

I think it's this novel is a strange-but-understandable hybrid .. a meditation/burlesque on Alice's life and lifestyle.  

When Alice arrives in Los Angeles, she sees herself in flight from her failed marriage.  Her new job at a newspaper as a tremendous gift she's only able to obtain through her father's connections, but one she views  nevertheless as a distraction.  By the end of the novel, she's still very distracted and it seems that the busy surface of her life will prevent her from ever making the art she dreams of .. but, of course, it's in your hand.

The reviewers I read seemed feel this novel was dated or perhaps didn't live up to their expecations for what was, admittedly, only a first novel.  I felt that I perceived a sophisticated comic sensibility underneath the surface of a novel that seemed to be only about how a marginal member of our community lives now.  I'm saddened that Fiona Lewis hasn't written any more novels.  While the world neither needs more novels nor more comics .. wait, I think I'm wrong! -- I think we do need more comic novelists and I think I see potential here.  A girl who can't say no?  You don't think that's funny?  I do.  Wait, didn't they write a song about that or something? ..

No comments:

Post a Comment