Monday, August 31, 2020

Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte


I've just finished Agnes Grey, and I'm a little confused or bemused or both. 


The first part of this book seems to be an expose of the social status of governesses and the second part a departure, a rather conventional romance. 

I find myself wondering at Charlotte Bronte's rejection of Austen: Agnes Grey seems to embrace romance, like Austen, and more so than either Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. 

I'm struck by how absolutely without redeeming qualities Rosalie seems to be; and, especially, how cruel she is to take up seducing Mr. Weston and preventing Agnes from seeing him; it seems completely obvious to me that she intends to hurt Agnes. And Agnes is so demure. Perhaps a little too demure for my taste. Her anxiety about the things she says to Mr. Weston is very touching and relatable. 

There is a passage, which I failed to note, where Agnes says that she is touched and delighted by Mr. Weston speaking to her as an equal, and this passage seems to me to echo that famous passage in Jane Eyre - which was, presumably, written later. 

I enjoyed the dramatic tension as Agnes longed for Mr. Weston to propose. I was relieved when it ended. I wondered why he waited so long. And, I enjoyed the novel as a whole and continue to marvel at Anne Bronte's mastery of the form. It amazes me that each of the sisters was so very accomplished in their debut novels. I haven't read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but I assume that it expresses more of Anne's true feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment