Friday, June 3, 2022

Chinese Fairy Tales with illustrations by Jeanyee Wong

I love this book, and while it's now out of print, it's still held in a few libraries and a few copies are available on Amazon and eBay.

I wish I knew more about it, but my internet search has turned up nothing. No author is listed or shown on or in the book itself, nor an editor. I assume that the illustrator, Jeanyee Yong (who I take it had a long career as an illustrator in the publishing industry in New York), collected and edited these stories herself. The stories here are not strictly speaking, fairy tales. There are no fairies here, neither the tiny ones with diaphonous wings nor the kind that push you into a ditch and jump on you until you're black or blue. I'd describe these stories as folk stories, although the fact that Jeanyee Wong assembled them makes them literary.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment