Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Absolutely Anything

Terry Jones passed away, and my library put up a very discreet display of Terry Jones items as they do when famous people die.

When I got there, all the materials were checked out except Absolutely Anything, a video that I'd never heard of .. with a front cover with a photo of Kate Beckinsale, Simon Pegg, and a dog wearing glasses.

None of this enticed me, but I reminded myself that everything at the library is free and one really ought to try new things, early and often.

I checked it out, and as I watched it I thought: "I know this story!" I thought it was Jesus and Satan in the desert, like in Paradise Lost, but now that I think about it, maybe it's the Book of Job. Anyway, I really loved it. The last 25% was a little bit weaker .. (endings are hard, or so I've heard), but just when I was getting quite worried the plot ended itself very happily. Later, I thought: is this an overlooked film, or is it the case that you are a sucker for a plot in which an affectionate, adorable dog saves mankind?

No comments:

Post a Comment