Friday, August 25, 2017

Dangerous Beauty (directed by Marshall Herskovitz)

I so enjoyed Rufus Sewell's performance in Victoria that I decided to use my library's online search catalog to create a little Rufus Sewell festival in my DVD player.

Dangerous Beauty doesn't offer Sewell as many opportunities to do the "laughing eyes" thing I enjoyed so much in Victoria, but his performance is note perfect. The film offers beautiful scenes in Venice, sumptuous costumes, and lots of great performances, especially that of Catherine McCormack. McCormack's part is big, varied and includes sword-fighting.

The screenplay was based on a nonfiction book, The Honest Courtesan by Margaret Rosenthal, about Veronica Franco, an historical person who was both a courtesan and a poet.

Next stop, Middlemarch, which I'm sure to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment