Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A Fine Summer's Day by Charles Todd

This is the 20th novel (or 21st?) in a historical fiction mystery series set in nineteen-twenties Britain.
The protagonist is Scotland Yard Inspector Ian Rutledge, who proposes on the same very lovely summer day that the heir to the Austro-Hungarian empire is assassinated, an event which sets World War I in motion.

For fans of this series, this story is a kind of "origin story" and allows us to see the Inspector before he served in WWI.

I've never read anything by Charles Todd before.  Charles Todd is a mother-son writing team who live in Delaware and North Carolina, respectively.

I found that the novel immediately drew me in, and I hardly noticed the first 200 pages flying by.  I did something I used to do all the time but rarely do any more:  I read the last chapter to see how it ended.  I'm sorry now that I did that.  The last 100 pages seemed to me to drag, and I suppose knowing how it ended robbed those last 100 pages of any suspense.

The authors supplied plenty of information about the events that began the first World War, and I found that interesting because I'd forgotten what I learned in school.


No comments:

Post a Comment