Thursday, January 24, 2013

A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

I'd long looked forward to reading some Sue Grafton.

I was a little disappointed, and I think that's probably for a number of reasons.

The novelty of a female detective is no longer so great.  Some of the plot points were lacking in originality, as were some of the characterizations.

Some elements I did admire.  When Kinsey Millhone, the detective, goes to interview the murder victim's first wife, they have a conversation in which the first wife really springs off the page:  her portrait and dialogue seem realistic.

However, the first book in a series is often not as fully developed as later installments; I've often wondered if it isn't smarter to select a book from later in the series when I'm reading a new detective for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment