Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Incendies/Something Borrowed/Everything Must Go

My own personal film festival: I could not finish watching Incendies because it was too graphic for me. I found it unbearable to watch; the violence started very early in the film. I thought it seemed very realistic and that the acting was sublime, completely convincing.

Here's some background (from the Wikipedia entry for Indendies): Incendies is a 2010 Quebec film written and directed by Denis Villeneuve. Adapted from Wajdi Mouawad's play, Scorched, Incendies follows the journey of twin brother and sister as they attempt to unravel the mystery of their mother's life. The film premiered at the Venice and Toronto Film Festivals in September 2010 and was released in Quebec on 17 September 2010. In 2011, it was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.

Something Borrowed is a romantic comedy based on the novel by the same name by Emily Giffin. (I've never read a novel by Emily Giffin but I've read that infidelity is a theme in her work.) This story is about unfaithfuless among friends and how growth and change can lead to unfaithfullness, ironically. I seem to recall one review that I read that found it uninspired and I can understand that, but I actually felt differently about it. It had some quality of underdevelopment but I thought that the acting was good and that the issue of how changing may lead one to do something that leaves one's friends behind or in some other way seems to break faith with friends or the priorities of the past was actually a serious topic for folks in that time of life.

Everything Must Go was a comedy without laughs. That's not really true, but the laughs were few and subtle. This movie was really a drama. It was based on a short story by Raymond Carver who was a serious drinker and wrote about the difficulty of being adult when addicted in many of his stories. Of course, it's difficult to be an adult even when you're not addicted. See above, re: keeping faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment